Gas

+ Submit your article here

Gas Leak

2/15/2013 5:49:44 PM | by Anonymous

Gas

Although considered by most as a harmless way to heat your home, gas can also be a potential hazard if it manages to leak or an appliance is damaged.

 

The worst thing you can do if you smell gas is to light a match, open a naked flame or smoke. When gas comes into contact with fire it will explode. Also, flicking light switches and other appliances on or off can cause an eruption. The only thing you should touch if you smell gas is the gas mains – switch it off if you know how. Open all your doors and windows to let some air in and allow the gas to escape. Call the gas emergency line ASAP whenever you smell or think you may have a gas leak.

 

If an appliance is leaking gas, never attempt to fix it by yourself. In fact, don’t even touch it.

 

Loss of Gas Supply

If your gas supply is ever lost, interruption will be kept to a minimum and no requests to cut your gas supply will be made during peak times. Gas engineers will also give you an advanced warning if your gas supply will be disturbed. It may not be convenient but these works are essential.

 

Explanations for disruptions can consist of network volume constraints, high system strains, testing and additional emergency circumstances. Gas engineers retain certain ethics of performance and these state that they must inform customers of prearranged interruptions and in the outcome of an unforeseen interruption, for example an emergency; they must reinstate the supply as soon as possible. If gas engineers do not meet these ethics you can claim compensation through your gas supplier.

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause brain damage. It occurs from poorly ventilated or maintained appliances. In some cases, people can also die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This can be prevented by having your appliances regularly checked by a Gas Safety Registered engineer.

 

If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord has to ensure that all gas appliances are regularly checked. This is a lawful requirement.

 

Although carbon monoxide cannot be seen or smell, there are some signs of its presence.

 

These consist of

· The trial light repeatedly blowing out

· Your gas flame is brown/cream instead of blue

· Appliances have dark, brown burned areas on them

· A mouldy smell or signs of smoke

· Condensation appearing on windows more regularly

 

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning you can purchase a detector from your local DIY store. However, make sure the detector has been approved by an official body before purchasing it. The detector can sense the presence of carbon monoxide immediately and will set off an alarm or change colour to warn you. You must test your sensor every month and substitute batteries when required. The manufacturer will also recommend how often you should change your detector.

 

If the detector indicates that carbon monoxide is in your home, then you should evacuate the premises immediately.

 

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can consist of: headaches, exhaustion, dizziness, sickness, diarrhoea, abdominal pains, torso pains and irregular behaviour. If you experience these symptoms and they get better when you’re away from the house, then there is a high chance there is carbon monoxide present in your home.

 

Author Bio: This article was written by Brian Madden; Online Marketing Assistant at Crown Gas.

Are you sourcing for a product or service?

Do you need a quotation?